Me and my mom, my best friend.

Me and my mom, my best friend.

Friday, January 6, 2012

Getting Ready

Not much to report over the last couple days. Yesterday, I knew mom had plenty of soup and cornbread and she sounded good, so I took the day to get my house ready for Mili. Of course, this translates into "I laid on the recliner and stared at the mountain of laundry I needed to fold, thought about the to-do list I didn't even feel like writing, and hung out with the girls in our pajamas all day". I didn't actually accomplish anything. I spoke to mom several times on the phone. I really missed her. But, I am sure she enjoyed a day to herself, everyone needs that here and there. She has been having some issues with her stomach bothering her. After she eats certain things (usually more acidic or spicy foods) she has a period of time that follows with a pretty bad burning feeling in her belly. So, I guess I will lay off the rotel in the next pot of soup I make.

 A few appointments ago, Dr. Penland prescribed mama a pain patch IN ADDITION to her pain pill. Mom hasn't really had an issue with pain, but with her disease, you CANNOT give pain a leg-up. You have to stay on top of it. Her patch looks like a little sticker. It goes on her chest and has to be changed every three days. I have to wear gloves when I change it, because I do not need to get any of the medicine on me while I am pregnant. So anyway, I headed over there this morning to change her patch and check on her. When I got there, she was still coughing pretty bad. You will hear her cough all through the day, but when she first wakes up, it's horrible. Really horrible. It seemed like she was going to have a bad day, though she assured me that wasn't necessarily the case. She refers to it as her "morning routine". She said she has it EVERY morning, and it doesn't dictate the direction her entire day will take. I know she is right, but when you are listening to her go through it, it is hard to believe she will recover and have a decent day. She vomited twice while I was there. I yelled for the girls to move away from the bathroom door, where they stood outside listening to her gag and cough repeatedly. I didn't want them to feel scared hearing it, because I know I sure felt that way.

I distracted them by getting their bikes out of my car. Nori is pretending to be her Gammy here. She has her hat on and she was calling the pink headband her "glasses".




She ran back and forth from the porch to the bathroom getting sick. Neva was really worried about her.


When things kind of calmed down, I laid out the rest of her medicine and waited for her to take it. She took it willingly and without complaint. The girls and I invited her to lunch, and were surprised when she actually agreed to go! I put Neva's car seat in the car with her Gammy, because I thought they could use the one on one. I know Nori and I could use it. I used to do this periodically when mom was well. Separate the girls and give them special attention. I love doing that. Neva asked me if she could take her shoes off in mama's car, and I told her "No, keep them on". "But mama, my feet are hot", she retaliated. "No, Neva, keep them on", I told her. Then, as she and mom pulled out of the yard ahead of me, Neva waved sweetly from the backseat....I felt my heart skip a beat. I waved back. Then she kicked up a barefoot for me to see. I just thought SHE had the biggest, most spiteful smile on her face, until I caught a glimpse of the driver.....Grandmas.....they have their own set of rules, I guess.....

It wasn't JUST Neva that rode with mom. Her babies had to ride too.


Us taking separate vehicles made it easy for me to head home directly after our meal. We went to Ryan's because Mom doesn't know until something goes into her mouth if it is actually going to agree with her taste buds. Something might sound, look and smell good, but until she tastes it---she has no idea if she can stomach it. So, buffets are our best friend. My girls ate great! Mom and I have this little game...."If you eat 5 green beans, some chicken and okra, I will get you some cake"......Of course, "5 green beans" becomes a whole helping after they actually TASTE them. The game just tricks them into tasting everything. By the time they finish their "challenge", their little plates are almost clean. Mom did pretty good too. I am pretty sure that 3 yr old Neva ate more than her today, but I am always proud of my mama when she tries. Less than an hour earlier she was vomiting.....It had to be a great effort to even WALK in a restaurant. She ate a chicken leg and half of another one, and a few bites of some side dishes. She had to order a glass of water when the sweet tea didn't agree with her. It was good food, good conversation, and an all around good time. Of course it ended with mom getting the girls, NOT ONE, but TWO gumballs a piece.

We headed home after lunch and so did mom. I put the girls down for nap and continued to THINK about my to-do list. Not ACTUALLY do it. Time is ticking and with every shooting pain and contraction I get, I know Mili is getting closer to her arrival date. I know what I NEED to do, I just can't get motivated to do it. After the girls woke up, I took them outside to play. We stayed there the rest of the day. While they played, I pulled totes out of the storage building and sifted through baby clothes. I was happy to see that I am going to have to buy very, very little to prepare for her arrival. Tomorrow, I have asked my mom to go with me to pick up the remaining necessities. I am looking forward to hanging out with her some more, and focusing on something other than cancer. We have been so focused on her illness, that we haven't done any of the fun mother-daughter baby-prep that we did with the other two. I was so excited when she said "I gotta get her a come-home outfit"....This meant the world to me, because she bought both of the other girls' outfits. Just her thinking about it and mentioning it took me back to a healthier, happier day in our lives.

When I spoke to her earlier tonight, she had been visiting with Josh, Amber and the boys. She seemed tired, but like she had a pretty good day. Amber had went by Corner Market and picked her up some sushi rolls (they make pretty good sushi in there!) so, I knew she had something for supper. She spoke excitedly about our trip tomorrow. I am so thankful I have my mama here to help me get ready for my new bundle of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment