Me and my mom, my best friend.

Me and my mom, my best friend.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Two In One

This is a double blog. That's right, you get twice the ranting for half the time (just kidding). Here we go:

"Accidental Complaint"

Sometimes when I write, I am so focused on the therapy aspect of it, that I forget there's a couple people actually reading. Well today while driving mom and the kids to the museum, I received an interesting phone call. It was from the Director of the Pediatric Floor from the hospital that initially treated Nori for her "incident". She had somehow came across my blog, and wanted to talk to me about my experience. You can imagine my shock! She wanted to hear my version of my family's experience at her hospital and on her floor. She listened attentively. She then spoke eloquently and respectfully but also factually about what was recorded from that night. She spoke of things that I had forgotten or possibly never knew due to my panic-y reaction to the situation. It was documented that Nori DID receive benedryl in the ER as well as a steroid in addition to the morphine. This was not something that I mentioned in my previous blog (because I didn't know). She also asked me about the nursing staff's performance on her floor. I told her that her employees were attentive, friendly, and accommodating to my family (this was also not mentioned in the previous blog). However, my only complaint, and it is a biggie, is I felt like there may have been a lack of communication between the nursing staff and the dr. I felt strongly that the dr should have seen us BEFORE Nori got SO bad off. I told her that I felt like this vital "miscommunication" has had me petrified of the "what if???" every time I allow my mind to drift. She offered her sympathy for my having been through that experience. She apologized on behalf of her coworkers and staff, yet stands behind their abilities as medical professionals. Luckily, Nori is a healthy happy little girl several months later. And I learned a lesson, to be more assertive and voice my opinions in a stronger fashion. This director spoke with her staff about their communication skills as well. I informed her that my prior experiences with her place of employment ARE ALL POSITIVE. I had both of my girls there, and I really feel like I received special treatment BOTH times (even though I know, that is how EVERYONE is treated). My future children will be born in this facility. This hospital has treated my mom since she has been sick as well. Every time my mom has gone into the hospital, the whole staff from admissions, to nursing, to housekeeping, to dietary (especially dietary, YUM) have been exceptional! When we have taken her through the ER, we have all but had the red carpet rolled out for us. They took us in a separate waiting room away from other patients, they got her to a dr SUPER fast, and the dr was phenomenal.

To sum it up: Was my experience that night in the ER a bad one? Yes. I am uncomfortable with how non-chalantly we were initially treated. I know there are better "ER CHECK IN" experiences, because we have ALWAYS had them with my mom. Were there good aspects to the ER experience? Yes. The nursing staff was very friendly. I was hysterical and they were very reassuring. The facility was clean and well maintained. However, when they were running Nori's IV, there APPEARED to be a little bit of inexperience to my untrained eye. The biggest thing: Nori's dr. was not as attentive as I would have liked. I feel like the answer was not obvious, so he assumed. That assumption could have been a fatal mistake. Could I have been more verbal? Of course! That is why I am so mad at myself! Was my experience on the pediatric floor a bad one? No. Was I given non-factual information while on this floor? Yes. Her swelling was not due to her IV fluids. But it was a scary situation, that for whatever reason WILL NOT stop replaying in my mind. My blogging about it WAS NOT A COMPLAINT, but a mere attempt at venting and moving on. However, this incredibly dedicated woman, read my blog and took the time to call me, listen to me, apologize for any misunderstandings, and ease my mind about future experiences with her facility. WOW. To me, that is absolutely commendable.

"Discovering Memories"

Mom and I took the girls to the Lynn Meadows Discovery Center in Gulfport, Ms. I went there a few years ago when I was in school and I was so anxious to take my girls. We decided to stay the night and kind of make a mini vacation out of it. Sadly, mom came down with a little cold just before we left.


Mom and the girls checking out the view from our room.


We spent alot of time in the pool, the weather was cloudy and perfect for little ones.


Neva got very brave with her little life jacket on. She didn't want ANY help.


Look out Kim Kardashian, here comes Nori! (Little Swimmers are expensive!)


She didn't feel well. She was coughing and her chest hurt really bad. But she put on a smile for us.

POOL TIME!


I have a little motion sickness issue. So mom took the girls on their first escalator ride!


After we ate, we decided to turn in. It was a fun day. I hoped mom would wake up feeling better.

The girls slept great. I didn't. I kept listening to how horrible mama's breathing was. She was struggling. It was truly the saddest most heart wrenching thing I have EVER listened to. She was pitiful. I didn't sleep a wink.


She didnt wake up better. She woke up worse. Way worse. You can see it in her face, can't you? She was swollen and dark eyed. I wanted to just head home, but she refused.


Welcome to Lynn Meadows! An all HANDS-ON museum for kids!! Very cool!


There's Neva serving Gammy in the dining area of the train.

This was a little reading nook. There were several books available and cute cuddle toys.


Mama took frequent breaks.She was coughing uncontrollably. I was so worried, but she kept assuring me she was okay.

The kids LOVED this airplane. Of course, they loved every exhibit. Each room had a different theme. You won't see all the rooms in this post, cause you'd be reading ALL DAY! But each room really encouraged the children to use their imaginations and get into character.


Here we are at a fancy hotel having tea. Pinkies up everyone!


Nori sold her Gammy some coffee and supplies in the little market.

She even got change back!


The girls didn't care for this exhibit. But there were cameras set up and you could watch yourself deliver the news! Here is mom getting into character.


This is what was actually happening......

This is what Neva and Nori saw on the TV. It looked as though they were on the lake!


This exhibit was tough for me. But I know it is beneficial for my girls to put themselves in the shoes of children with disabilities.


Here, the girls learned about pulleys. This place was set up to accommodate emerging reading, math, and science skills in a fun way. The exhibits encourage dramatic play, creative thinking and children taking initiative. Super educational.

Mom having a coughing spell. She will kill me for posting this pic. I just want you to know how sick she was. Cant say for sure without an xray, but we feel like she may have broke a rib coughing. This is not the first time it's happened.

There is a HUGE climbing apparatus in the center of the building. The girls and I conquered it!


ART! The girls love art!

Neva cooked Gammy some lunch in her outdoor restaurant.


It was SO much Fun. We just wish Gammy felt better.


Goodbye Lynn Meadows! See you soon!

I originally wanted to let the girls see the beach before we left. However, given mama's condition, I didn't think it was the greatest idea. But she insisted. When we went to Gulf Shores this Summer, the girls were frightened by the strong and huge waves. At the coast, they were small and calm. Nori was still a little freaked out.


Mom was really down by this point. I was really worried she might pass out in this heat even though we were only there for a moment.


Exhausted!

Her too!
Her Three!

I would encourage ANYONE with young children to take the time to go to Lynn Meadows. It truly is an awesome place.
It was a great little trip. But mom's condition took me back to our train ride and the New Orleans Zoo earlier this year. She was there, but not really. It is hard to really enjoy yourself when you are so worried about someone. I knew something was really wrong. I didn't know just how bad, until we got back to Laurel..............................


No comments:

Post a Comment