Me and my mom, my best friend.

Me and my mom, my best friend.

Friday, May 13, 2011

George Said It Best

Over a decade ago my mom walked in David's Grocery desperate for a job. Knowing her as a customer, Mr. David (the owner) hired her on the spot. My mom quickly fell in love with the Walters' and the Christian atmosphere of the store. She proved herself to be a loyal and dependable employee. She really was one of those cashiers that LOVED her job and LOVED her customers. It was obvious to everyone she greeted. A few years later, knowing that I was looking, Ms. Sharon (Mr. David's wife) offered me a job. I had a blast working at David's. Most days me and mom worked well together, although there are a few days that went "not-so-well" too. Working with a relative is not an easy task, but I sure left with alot of good memories. There is just something about David's. It was and still is a feeling that mom and I share. We love everything it stands for. We found ourselves pitching the burgers and meat market even when we were off the clock. We truly wanted the store, Mr. David and Ms. Sharon to succeed and we worked hard to prove that everyday. Mom, of course, was there long before me, and long after me. Unable to work (for the moment), Mom still fantasizes about the day she will return to her second family at Davids.

Thursday started on a scary note. We woke up, once again, fearing the unknown of the hours to come. Mom had to have a "port" put in. For those of you that are like me-you have NO idea what I'm talking about. In lamens terms, a port goes just under the skin of the chest and prevents my mom from having to get an IV every time she needs meds. Instead, they can use the port. In addition to not getting "stuck" so much, her veins will be protected from burning out. Luckily, that procedure was the easiest so far and Mom did GREAT. We then headed home and waited for the "little" fund raiser that the employees of David's had organized.

Mom went ahead of me. So I took my time, dressing the girls and myself  in the oh so cute "Brenafit" shirts that had been provided for our whole family. Michael, the girls and I got to David's around 5:30 and were astounded by what we saw. Three parking lots full of cars with people steadily driving up. When we walked in, there was barely standing room. My eyes immediately fell on the volunteers sweating away in the kitchen. Most of them had already worked a full day and had committed a full night to my mom. I was overcome by my emotions immediately and began fighting my tears as I looked at the faces in the room. I felt so proud of my mom. What a woman. People told me their stories and I told them mine. I got so many hugs and prayers. I kept looking over at my mom. I was worried about her, and wanted to whisk her away home to rest, but I could tell by her smile for the first time in a month-she was home.

Afterwards, I laid in bed thinking about everyone I saw. Today, I saw sympathetic moms who had lost children. I saw beautiful daughters that have lost their dads. Today, I saw children who had experienced the loss of a grandparent. Today, I saw people come in straight from work and wait effortlessly for their time to donate. I saw people crying and I saw people laughing. Today, I saw my mom overwhelmed by joy and love. Today, I saw that I don't have to feel alone. Today, I saw hundreds of people joined by a common thread. Today, I saw the beauty and strength of a community. Today, I saw the love of a second family lift up a fallen member. My heart feels so light, yet full, because I feel with all of my being, "I saw God today".

No comments:

Post a Comment