Me and my mom, my best friend.

Me and my mom, my best friend.

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Mountains (What day is it again?)

After I wrote yesterday (Monday), I indulged in a delicious Michael breakfast, then our little crew carried on with the llllaaazzziiieeesssttt day ever. Michael fell asleep watching tv in the loft. The girls played for a minute, then took a nap as well. Me? I sat and soaked up the view and the peace and quiet. I have to admit, though being alone is something I sometimes crave, I found myself hoping someone would wake up. Memories of my mom were washing over me like waves in the ocean. I fought off my depression, and eventually my distractions woke up. Michael grilled some burgers and I cooked some fries and mac n cheese. We all sat around the table talking, laughing and stuffing ourselves. During our meal, we finalized our plan for the evening----the aquarium. I had my doubts. My girls aren't the most orderly bunch. I could just see Nori pushing Neva in the shark tank. But, we headed out anyway.

The weather was rainy, cold and dreary. But I have to tell you, it made the mountains look even more beautiful with the shiny gloss coat the rain provided. More and more leaves are retiring for the fall right before our eyes. It's an amazing sight. I enjoy riding to our destinations and looking at the views just as much as I enjoy the destination itself. When we arrived at the Ripley's aquarium, we parked in a parking garage and I momentarily thought to myself "maybe we won't get wet"....I was wrong. We had to go outside to get to the actual aquarium. We RAN with our strollers through the rain. My jeans were wet from the knee down. But it didn't matter.... I was so excited for my girls to have a good time. The lady at the ticket booth conned Michael into buying a package deal. So, we knew that Tuesday (today) we were doing something Ripley's related as well. I didn't have super high expectations for the aquarium, but I couldn't have been more wrong! IT WAS AWESOME! My kids were so excited! It was very hands on, we even got to "pet" a fish! The best part was: a tie between the glass tunnel--where there were sharks and other sea creatures swimming all around us, and the penguin exhibit-- where Neva made a new best friend-- the cutest little penguin I've ever seen.... All in all, the aquarium was a success and I recommend it to any family with any age child. Actually, we would go there even if the kids were not with us! We hit the gift shop afterwards and spent too much money on cheap made souvenirs. Next, we headed home and fed the kids left over burgers for supper. It didn't take long for my exhausted little babies to fall asleep. So, Michael and I cooked us a steak, baked potato, and side salad for supper. We sat side by side at the table eating and talking about the dread we had because we knew our much anticipated lil' trip was drawing to a close. Then, we watched stand up comedy until I dozed off on the couch.

Today, I awoke to the sound of Michael and Mili "talking". The three of us went outside and sat on  the back porch for a while--but it was COLD! So we sat in the warmth of our living room and looked at the view through our window until the big girls woke up. Then, we started breakfast. I tell ya, I love to make a big ole' pan of homemade buttermilk biscuits...But this morning we had canned biscuits and they were great! After breakfast, we all got ready and headed out to the Ripley's Odditorium. It was pretty neat, and had the girls not been there--we could have really had a great time. But, it was a bit spooky--even for MY brave girls. So we kind of rushed through it. I didn't find it to be super small-kid-friendly--or very stroller friendly for that matter. Still--I would recommend checking it out. Next we toured the streets of Gatlinburg. We went in this little shop that had a live bluegrass band playing. Their music was INCREDIBLE! Michael bought three of their cds. The girls danced around while I took pictures. Then, we went to the Fudge Shoppe, where they have the most divine and incredibly rich fudge. We got a couple pieces with pecans, then a praline piece, and a rocky road piece. It's delicious, but you literally develop a cavity with every bite you take. My mom insisted on stopping there last year because I was super pregnant and every little fudge place was taunting me with their deliciousness. We stopped there and she bought me some fudge. It was terribly expensive, and I remember feeling guilty that she spent so much money on me. I missed her so much walking that same path that we walked together one short year ago. I looked over at the park bench and I saw me and her sitting together. We were tasting the fudge and talking about where we were going next. I longed for her more than ever in that moment sitting there in front of the cute little Fudge Shoppe. Luckily, I couldn't get too lost in my sad reminiscing--because we had to move on to our next and final stop--The Ripley's Mirror Maze and The Candy Factory. It was super cute (and stroller friendly). We made our way through the maze pretty quickly, then we let the girls pick out some candy. They both ended up with rainbow lolly pops. We toyed with the idea of eating out--but we knew we had way too much food at the cabin that needed to be cooked. So we headed home. All three girls fell asleep on the way so Michael and I rode and looked at cabins. we wanted to find us one for next year that had a yard AND a view--not one or the other. I love riding and looking at properties. After we found some serious contenders for our next vacation--we came on home to our mountain tip-top, yard-free rental. The girls (surprisingly) transferred from the car to their beds without waking up. So, Michael and I had a little time together. We spent some time out on the porch talking, then came in the cabin the rest of the time. The girls slept FOREVER! I cooked a pan of lasagna, made a salad and baked some garlic bread while they rested. Afterwards, the realization that we are leaving in the morning set in. Michael and I both are incredibly sad. I've loved this quality time with him. Though I have enjoyed hearing them giggle and seeing them discover knew things-- everyday is quality time with my girls. But I rarely get a non-overworked, non stressed out version of Michael....and I have loved every second of it. I started doing some cleaning and some packing--because I hate when checkout time sneaks up on you and you still have a ton of things to do. That kept me busy for a while, then few minutes ago, I walked out on the back porch. No picture can do justice to the scenery from our porch swing. During the day, it is breathtaking--but at night it is beyond words. The lights from the porches all along the mountain twinkle like stars right here on earth. It's just beautiful. I can't hardly take it without my heart skipping a beat....Especially when Michael is standing next to me. Perhaps it was the view talking, or the dread of what tomorrow brings, but Michael suggested we stay one more night. We never reached a final decision, before he fell asleep watching cartoons with the girls. So, I am not sure what the plan for tomorrow is at this moment. Contemplating staying an additional night reminds me of last year. Mom and I were packing hesitantly and getting ready to leave when Michael announced we were staying another night. Mom and I looked at each other and just like two little kids we started smiling ear to ear with our matching big teeth and then giggled at the thought of not having to go back home to reality. One more night is an awesome thought. But, I also know that all good things must come to an end. Whether we stay or go--it's been a fantastically fun and relaxing trip.

 The smell in the air is crisp and cool and feels like the past. I feel mom in this weather. She was her sickest in the cold weather--and we became our closest in those last days as well. I have been fantasizing (Literally dreaming) of her warm hugs and soft little kisses. This trip has revitalized my memory of her, but also freshened my pain. I wish she was here with me so badly--I can't even explain it to you. If not here, I just wish I could talk to her. Michael has been "checking in" with his parents nightly and telling them all the activities that each day held. I miss that. I haven't had ONE phone call since I have been here. Not one. If she was alive and back at home, we would have talked about every thing...EVERY SINGLE LITTLE thing, a couple times a day or more. Not having her to listen to every little detail and ask about the girls reaction to different things, is not something I am used to yet. I miss my mom. But I REALLY miss my best friend.

Well, this could be my very last night here until next year.....So, I'm going to go spend it with my girls...They may never fall asleep after their long/late nap. Oh yeah, and I might nibble on some fudge too.

No comments:

Post a Comment