Me and my mom, my best friend.

Me and my mom, my best friend.

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

  • She used to call me first thing and say "Happy Thanksgiving!"
  • I would wonder how she was so upbeat....I couldn't quit freaking out.
  • She told me not to worry when I told her I was going to be late...
  • When I shared my fears about my dishes, she assured me that even if it was burnt, everyone would love it.
  • She had so much more to prepare, but finished so much earlier than me.
  • She arrived early to sit and talk with my papaw without everyone around.
  • She remembered the cranberry sauce that only 3 out of 30 people ate.
  • She called me when I was 30 minutes late, to make sure I was ok.
  • She asked me if I had a good time with Michael's family. I told her "yes, but it was rushed again".
  • She was proud that we made our rounds and no one was left out.
  • When we arrived, I looked for her. Unlike the others, I saw her daily. But hers was the face I searched for.
  • I walked in the living room and kissed my Papaw.
  • Before kids, I spent my time following her from room to room. She couldn't sit anywhere long.
  • Actually, it seems like all the action, all the laughter and fun followed her too.
  • After kids, she followed them, and I kicked back.
  • She ate and chewed with her mouth partially open. Steadily talking and carrying on.
  • She laughed the loudest and it echoed through Papaw's old house.
  • I was laughing too. I was different then.
  • I hugged her repeatedly. 
  • She kissed my cheek each time.
  • She bragged on my food.
  • I checked in with Papaw here and there. He sat in the quiet end of the house.
  • He would tell me the same stories, but I listened to them like it was the first time I ever heard them.
  • He called me "Nik'ems" and gave me stubbly kisses.  
  •  Mama, broke as can be, would try and persuade everyone to draw names for Christmas....Or we would try to agree on playing Dirty Santa, or not.... But as our family grew, we only bought for the little ones.
  • She loved the fun that giving gifts brought to the hoilday.
  • We fixed to-go plates. Mom made sure all of her GROWN kids had supper for later.
  • Then, she would strategically wait until Punkin washed all the dishes, and ask "You need help?" with a smirk and a little giggle.
  • She was the first to arrive, but one of the last to leave.
  • She headed out before dark, because she needed to get on home, and rest....She had work the next day and "3:30 will be here in a minute".
  • I would call her on my way home and we would talk about our meal and what I missed and she missed through the day.
  • She and Ronnie would be nearly home and Michael would be driving us home as well.
  • Even though we had been together for hours, I felt a twinge of sadness. After several years of marriage, it still felt foreign to be away from her even for a minute on a holiday.
  • When I got home, I called her again. She obliged my stalking and never acted annoyed.
  •  I would restate "Happy Thanksgiving Mom"...
  • And she would reply "Happy Thanksgiving, Baby. I love you"
  • Just before I hung up, I would tell her what I long to tell her now....."I love you".

I miss the little things about this day, from just two short years ago. We all have so much to be thankful for. But, it can be turned upside down and flipped around in the blink of an eye. So, cherish this day with your loved ones. Running from house to house is stressful, but come on, it's ONE day. I hope you and your families eat, drink, hug, laugh and love today.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment