Me and my mom, my best friend.

Me and my mom, my best friend.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Should Auld Aquaintance Be Forgot.........

It's strange how things change.......

10 years ago I was a teenager, doing what teenagers do on New Year's Eve....

5 years ago I was a married woman, with no children, hanging out with my husband as the new year rolled in....

Last year, I was asleep after a full night of fireworks with the kids. Blissfully unaware of what the new year would hold.....

Today...........

When I woke up this morning after only about 3-4 hours of sleep, I was struggling. I felt exhausted and found it very difficult to put one foot in front of the other. I told the girls yesterday that I would take them to the park, but then we ended up doing the meet and greet all day, and ran out of day light. So I knew that I needed to take them today. They needed some QT from me and a fun day. Before I realized just how yucky I felt, I told them that we would go. AFTER they got all excited, I realized just how sleepy I was, my feet were swollen, my legs were achy, and my back was hurting (I could keep going....). Tony the Tiger helped me out with breakfast and  I spent a couple hours just trying to snap out of it. I thought about putting them off another day, but I didn't think my conscience would allow it ( I have already told you about my persistent mother's guilt). So I forced myself to get up and get everyone ready. I called mom and Amber and we all decided to meet for lunch. I was glad mom was getting out of the house. She sounded good.

We all met at Mi Casita's. Josh came and Amber's parents too. Just getting out of the house and the sun shining through my windshield had me feeling alot better by the time I arrived. I know sometimes I give in to the discomfort of being pregnant. You'd think that I would be a pro at it by now, but I am still a wimp. Anyway I felt better and I was excited to see mom eat a meal. Unfortunately, she only had a few chips. I could tell something was wrong. She quietly told me that her stomach was bothering her a bit. I shoveled my food in. We excused ourselves and left pretty quick. I hated to leave, but I can't stand to see her uncomfortable. I was all set for us to go our separate ways for the day, until she announced that she would go WITH us to the park!!! I was so excited!

Nori's legs are not quite long enough to pedal this hand-me-down trike, but she likes sitting on it and being pushed around...

She has been practicing, and she's ALMOST there.....I am so proud....

I am not the only one.....Look at the pride on this grandmother's face. There is something so innocent, simple, yet absolutely indescribably priceless about watching your baby learn how to do something for the very first time on her own.....wow....

It was a great day. The only thing more beautiful than the weather, was the memory we stored in our hearts as we drove away.



Mom hugged and kissed both girls. Then came me. I knew it would be my last hug and kiss for her in the year 2011. I held her tight. It was a great hug. I didn't want to let her go....So I didn't. Not for a while...Then she climbed in her little car and drove away.

After the girls took their nap, we headed back outside. I feel happiest when they are playing and giggling and not getting in trouble for just being kids or being forced to sit in a waiting room. So today, was beautiful. Completely dedicated to my sweethearts.



When darkness started to fall on our perfect day, I took the girls inside for some one on one....



100 failed castles and towers later, Michael came home followed by his mama. She took the girls to her house to let me and Michael have a mini-date....

We ate fast food sitting on the couch and watched a movie ALL THE WAY THROUGH, WITH NO INTERRUPTIONS!!!!!! It was wonderful. We picked the kids up around 9:30. When were walking to our front door, we stopped to take in our neighbors' firework show. The kids were really into it. everyone was asleep by 10:30, except for me. I stayed up to talk to you. The clock has actually already struck 12, since I have been typing. I paused and went through the house to kiss all of my babies: Neva, Nori, then Michael. Then text messages from loved ones started rolling in. But the very first one was my mama. I can't believe that sleepy head was awake, but I am glad she was. She was the first person to talk to me in the year 2012. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have been thinking alot about this year....All that it brought to us. I wonder if I will look back on 2011 as "the bad year". Or will I see all the positive things that we gained? I guess time will tell. I think about us last year at this time. I picture us next year at this time....Everything is such a mystery when you really think about it. You just do not know what next year, next month, tomorrow, or even 5 minutes from now holds for you.......

If you are in the moment, I guess you should cherish it regardless of what it holds...

Happy New Year everybody....I love you all and wish you and your families the best......

1 comment:

  1. Happy new year to you and your family Nikki,and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete