Me and my mom, my best friend.

Me and my mom, my best friend.

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Thinking Back

Dear Mama,

I just got out of my thinking spot, (the shower) and I just wanted to drop you a quick line. I was thinking about my wedding. I don't know why....But it just popped in my head.

I wasn't there, but I have heard that you grilled Michael pretty good the day he came to ask your permission to propose. He said he reached into his pocket and pulled out the ring box and said "I want to talk to you about this". You looked at it closely, then replied "I don't want to talk about that". You were quite an intimidating little lady. The proposal was a pleasant surprise! I was so excited! But before I responded, I asked "did you ask my mama?" Michael nervously answered "yes". Then I got excited again. But before I answered, I asked "well, what did she say?" He was nervous, but more confused at my lack of response to the initial question (it's a pretty big question). "She said it was okay" he assured, then continued to wait on a response. I got excited again, and started to answer, BUT, before I answered AGAIN, I asked "Yeah, but what did her face look like? Did she have a tone?" It's hilarious looking back. I didn't want you to hurt. I worried about you so much. Finally, (obviously) I said "yes". Then, I let him put the ring on the wrong hand, because neither of us knew any better. After becoming engaged, I came home to a two week silent treatment.You loved Michael, but you weren't ready to turn loose of me. I get it now.


Soon, you came to terms with everything, and we began planning a little ceremony. I was working at David's plus getting ready to take my finals and graduate. We had very different ideas.You really wanted it to be special and elegant. I wanted to have it outdoors and have a big cookout afterwards. We couldn't afford anything big, nor was it really my "thing". Remember all the fussing at me that you did? You wanted me to be more involved in the small details. I told you not to worry so much, because the small details were not important to me. I even called Papaw and told him how crazy you were acting. YOU were bridezilla! Or, "Mother-of-the-Bride-Zilla", I guess. We laughed after he called and scolded you.
I always thought this snapshot kind of summed up the theme of our planning process. You griping, and me staring blankly.

I remember us going and looking at location after location and realizing it was going to be very difficult for us to afford even something small. We scoured the aisles of wal-mart looking for ways to cut corners on everything. I remember us working on the invitation list together and having to keep it down to a bare minimum. We listened to song after song after song trying to find the right music. Remember going to look at dresses? We had so much fun! Then at David's one day I asked one of my favorite customers if he would do my wedding, (Brother Robby). Punkin handled the flowers and decor type stuff and did a great job. You and me handled everything else. We split the cost down the middle, since neither of us could afford the entire thing. Photographer, DJ, the food.....We really had no idea what we were doing, but we worked together and figured it out the best we could. You were right there beside me the whole time and we created such special memories planning and working up to the wedding day. It was such a special time in my life.

I took the last of my finals on Thursday, did rehearsal dinner that night, then got married on Saturday.
The love of my life....

At the rehearsal dinner, Josh and Ronnie took a walk down the aisle, as well....

It was CRAZY stressful! But we got through it, together.

The morning of the wedding, you took off to meet Punkin and decorate. I went and got my hair and makeup done and then did what EVERY bride does on her wedding day, I had a Big Mac. AND fries. AND supersized Diet Coke. Then when I got there to The Meadows, the nerves set in. Not because of getting married, but because of walking down in front of all of those people!
A snapshot of these cool guys...??....

All these pictures are a little blurry, but they were easier access than the professional ones....You remember this all vivdly, anyway, I am sure.


Before I left out of my little dressing room, to walk down the aisle, you walked in. You showed me that on my bouquet of roses, you had tied yours and daddy's wedding bands. At first, in typical Cochran fashion, I made a sarcastic remark about you trying to jinx my marriage. After all, you and Daddy ARE divorced. Then we laughed and hugged and I thanked you. Remember what happened next? I told you not to worry about me, because this was the happiest day of my life. Your response was "I'm not worried about you. I know I never have to worry about you. I'm so proud of you and happy for you." Those last moments of me being your little girl and yours alone, I will cherish the rest of my life.

The ceremony was nice and quick. Which was just perfect for me. In lieu of writing our own vows, you know that Michael and I chose songs to play for one another. I found this the perfect opportunity to pay you back for making my wedding all girly and sophisticated and stuff....I snuck in a "joke song". It was a little prank I wanted to play on everyone, but especially you. Most people wouldn't understand why a bride would play a joke song at her wedding....But you understood. That's just us. I don't take the sanctimony of marriage lightly, but all the mumbo jumbo, fancy shmancy wedding stuff can get a little ridiculous. You got caught up in it. I wanted to bring you back. My wedding was far from "fancy", but I knew just how to make it more "me". So, when Brother Robby asked for my song that I dedicated to Michael to be played, this song cued up. Only for a second or two. Just long enough to make you, Michael, all the guests, and even Brother Robby laugh.

Then, the real song that I chose for him played. You laughed so hard. I was so glad to see you loosen up and get back to normal "Mom"!

At the reception, you danced with everyone. But not before you danced with me! It was a great day. It was a beautiful time. A time I will hold dear for all of my years.

Thank you so much for everything. I know I said it, but I don't know if I said it enough. Thank you Mama. I love you.

Love,

Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment